GIVE A YOUNG PERSON A GO!
Many young people from refugee and migrant backgrounds face significant barriers to accessing education and employment including: interrupted or lack of schooling, lack of English language, lack of support with homework and lack of work experience opportunities and support networks in Australia.
The Social Studio is breaking down the barriers faced by young people from refugee and migrant backgrounds. We provide a supportive and creative environment to gain work experience and qualifications, express their creativity, gain industry contacts, meet new friends and build their confidence as they create a new life in Australia.
All donations are used to help fund our training, employment and work experience programs, purchase essential equipment and materials and to help us to provide support to the young people who access our programs.
- $25 can provide a student with a sewing starter kit
- $50 can fund all pattern making paper required for one semester
- $100 can provide an essential student pack for one fashion or design student for one year
- $500 can provide teaching support for an entire class in our TAFE program for one week
- $1000 can cover training costs for our TAFE programs for one semester
We are happy to receive fabric donations. We prefer fabric on the roll to small off-cuts. Please contact us to discuss your donation, so we can ensure we have adequate storage space and discuss logistics of delivery.
We accept the following materials:
- Fabrics of all kinds preferably pieces that are 1m + or on rolls, and clean.
- Notions (including: buttons, thread, bias tape, ribbon, zippers, needles, trim, etc)
- Sewing books
- Sewing related materials: cutting mats, scissors, quilting materials.
- Unused patterns
- Quilting materials and tools
- Domestic and industrial sewing machines in good order
- Professional irons
We do not accept:
- Patterns that have been cut out
- Clothing (new or used)
- Bedding or curtains
- Partially assembled projects
- Scrap remnants
We are a small organization and are not able to pick up your donations.
You can drop off your donations during our shop business hours: 10:30am – 5pm Monday to Saturday
Contact us: 03 9417 2143